|Subject: Awkward Moments with KassemG (GM Application) Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:23 pm|| |
First and foremost, I would like to point out that this is a direct copy and paste of my previous GM Application. I will be working on a new one when I have the time. Many things have changed since I wrote the below application, which I would like to go into further detail about. One of these things does, in fact, include my decreased activity since August. Of course, when the time comes, I will go into full detail on that. Until then, this is a just a template of my application to come. This is also confirmation that even with my lack of game-play time, I am still highly interested in the position. I will get back to you as soon as possible with further details. Thanks.
EDIT: I am currently in Computer Science at my school. Unfortunately I did not have the prerequisite class to be able to choose the Grade 12 course and learn Java. I did, however get put into the Grade 11 class, with kids 2 years younger than myself and am currently working on Visual Basics. That's as much coding as I will get for a while, until I decide to learn Java myself.I want to start off by saying critique/criticism is not only welcome, but encouraged. Please feel free to point out any flaws, be it spelling, grammar, or anything else, as I will correct them as soon as I canWith this being said, I begin my GM Application Book. I have decided against the "format" seen in many GM Applications because I, personally, feel it is too bland and not enough detail is shown. Throughout this application, I will colour code each section according to importance. The status of each colour is as follows:Red
- Most Important.Cyan
- Somewhat Important.Violet
- Least Important.Chris' GM Application Vol. 1Table of ContentsUse CTRL+F to find keywords and subheadings (Command+F for Mac)i. Introduction
ii. About me (Background Information)
iii. Personal qualities
iv. Experience (Coding, .wz Edits, anything of the sort)
v. What makes me a suitable candidate for the position?
vii. In Conclusion... i. Introduction
I have seen in other GM Applications that personal life does not matter, I am going to risk it none-the-less. I joined this server approximately one month ago. As mentioned in my introduction thread, I was indeed skeptical about joining a v.75 private server. Fortunately, a friend of mine had insisted I join with him. It was at the point my view on private servers changed. From the minute I laid eyes on the custom "Level 1", I knew I was in for something. At this moment of time, I had not known if it would be trick or treat. Luckily I grew to find my sugar tooth satisfied and became attached to the server. From the moment Isaac first talked to me, I knew this is the kind of Maple community I wanted to be in.ii. About Me
Though I marked this section as unimportant, I believe the content within is, in fact, relevant. Firstly, if you have not read my introduction thread, my name is Chris. I am a born Canadian of Portuguese/Welsh decent. Yes, I'm a well-done pork chop. [sarcasm]Being Canadian, I obviously live in an igloo, ride a polar bear to work as a lumberjack while sipping on apple cider, eh.[/sarcasm] I am 18 years of age and currently work at a bakery with a bunch of friends and family members. There isn't a whole lot more to know about me that you won't discover later in this thread, so I will leave it at this.iii. Personal Qualities
If there is one part of this post that NEEDS to be read, this would be it. I have many personal qualities I would like to share with you, the deciding staff, the players of EternalWingsMS, and anyone who reads this. Before you think I am bragging about any of this, I will list my fair share of negative qualities as well. I, personally, believe on starting on a positive note, so I will do just that.Positive Qualities
ConfidenceNegative QualitiesExperience - Again, I know this has been noted to not be a huge deal in the decision of choosing the next GM, but I felt it should be mentioned anyways. It irks me that I have absolutely no experience. I am a novice .wz editor and that's about it. I don't know a whole lot about coding, although a friend and I are looking into C++ currently. Hopefully my class in Computer Programming will offer a least some knowledge on the subject. Other than that, I don't have a whole lot of experience.Randomness - I am unsure of how this will be perceived, but I am, in fact, a random individual. When forced (used this term loosely) into professionalism such as this, I can do so, but alone I am... well, random. When I am just around my friends, staying on topic is not an option for me; I'm everywhere. The only positive thing I can draw from this is that under certain circumstances I can pull myself together.Sense of Humour - I am going to type the first thing that came to mind when I thought of this. I find myself to be hysterical. I like my jokes. I find them amusing. This is where I tell you a joke, right? No, because from the past, I have learned I'm not a funny person, though I may think I am. Oh, oh, here's a story for you. I was at a wedding a couple of months ago. Instead of the bride and groom kissing after the clinking of glass, they decided they would only kiss after a joke had been told. Thinking I had the best joke ever, I walked on stage and blurted out my joke. I was standing on the stage overlooking everyone's blank expressions as I was... well, pretty much rolling on the floor laughing. It's a good story, though . Perhaps I'll tell the joke sometime.Don't get me wrong, I have more negative qualities. I just find that in an application where I am trying to impress people, putting in negative qualities about myself seems to diminish the effect. Now, I have mentioned my main flaws, so you, the reader, can understand me better as a person, and possible candidate for the Game Master position.
- Having lived on this planet for 18 years, I have learned a couple of things. One of these things is confidence. Confidence is key in near anything in life. Unfortunately I discovered it at a late age, probably grade 7 or 8. Up until then I was always trying to go with the "in-crowd", and thought I was succeeding. This is not a sob story, so don't worry
. Anyways, I discovered brief popularity, but at what cost? My morals? My friends? Finally it had occurred to me that popularity is just a concept, that the true meaning of the word was to be with the people you like without compromising yourself. How does this tie in with confidence? How doesn't it? I had the sudden realization of the world around me, and gained the confidence to stand up for what I believed in, not caring about other people's thoughts on it. I had become myself.Grammar/Spelling
- This is something I pride myself in on a daily basis, which is why I welcome spelling and grammar corrections at any time. I feel that my spelling and grammar are excellent, but could work on a more extensive vocabulary. How can this relate to the server? Well, I believe that proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling are all great assets to have as a hierarchical figure. Patience
- In my many years of life, there have been many things I had to wait for. Waiting became a daily thing for me, whether it be waiting for recess, allowance, that toy I always wanted. Patience is something I believe no man nor woman can live life without. I can even direct this quality at this GM Application. I understand the chances of becoming a GM are slim; who doesn't? The point I want to make is that I am willing to wait. Decisions such as these take time and I understand this. I can also apply this quality directly to the server itself. A good example of this would be the "Cecil era". Isaac had deciphered the code Cecil and her friend, HUMMER, were speaking in. Having being told about the code, I took it upon myself to communicate with Cecil. A few hours later, I had thought I had finally gotten through, but found out it was just a prank who's primary target seemed to be me. Of course I was irritated, I spent hours communicating with this person, honestly thinking I was making some sort of progress. These are things you must deal with, though, so I forced myself to shrug it off and continue with my life. If you could take one thing from this paragraph, it's that patience truly
is a virtue.Bias
- I am human. I am subject to biased behaviour every day of my life. The Maple world is one of the only places I can keep my biased nature under control. I won't bore you with another life story. In fact, I will just say this: Being biased is not a bad thing. The times in which you let your biased actions overcome you, on the other hand, can prove to be your very downfall.Loyalty
- When I am devoted to something, you better believe it. As I have discovered, life in it's entirety is not
loyal. The decisions you make throughout life decide the loyalty you will radiate, and the loyalty you receive. I have not been a member of EWMS for a very long time, but I am willing to show my commitment in any way possible.Honesty
- I mentioned this last, because there are both positive and
negative connotations that come along with this word. I find myself to be a brutally honest person. I mean, I kid a lot, but I will also be the first to raise my hand and say what's up. Take it as you will, but I cannot change this. This is the way I was, the way I am, and the way I will continue to be.
iv.Experiences As stated in the negative qualities about myself, I really don't have much experience with anything. The most experience I have is dabbling in .wz edits and playing several private servers. I will keep this section short as to not restate what has already been covered. Though I recall Isaac saying that experience shall not persuade his decision, I feel it important you know this.
v.What makes me a suitable candidate for the position?
I am an active player who follows truly to everything stated above. I do not plan on leaving this server any time soon. If the 2012 prophecy comes true, then I'll be sure to give notice of my leaving. Until then, I'm not going anywhere, guys .What if you don't get the GM position? [sarcasm] I'm totally gonna leave this server. There's no point in playing without being a GM[/sarcasm]. Seriously, if you think I would type all of this up just because I want to be a GM, you're sadly mistaken. Sure, it's a GM Application and the sole purpose is to apply for the position, but read between the lines. This is me as a person. This is not just for GMship, this is for the whole of EternalWings, for myself.
What will you do for the server if chosen? Ban hackers, help people out... blah, blah, blah. That stuff already comes with the position. There is no promise in any of those statements. What I vow to do is try my best at any given time to help the server flourish. I want to see the rise of EternalWings again, since I was not able to witness it first time around. Of course I'll host events and such, but that is not what this is all about. The server is my main priority, whether I can code or not.
The above are the reasons as to which I, personally, believe I would be a suitable candidate for the position of Game Master.
Mentioned previously in the last section, my main priority is to help the server. Not just the people of the server, but EternalWings as a whole. I am willing to do whatever it takes to ease the lives of Brian, Isaac, and any other member of the staff. I want to see this server explode... in a good way.
Congratulations, you have endured what will arguably be the biggest wall of text I will ever write. If you have made it this far, go try the Great Wall of China, I heard that's even bigger.
In all seriousness, I would like to mention a few things. First of all, I do believe there are candidates running for GM that deserve the position more than myself. Do I think I will get the position? No. I thought you were confident? I am, but the fact remains the same. You don't buy a lottery ticket thinking your chances of winning are high. The same concept applies here. Whether you believe your application was well-done or just plain garbage, there is no telling what awaits you in the future.Life is a road, let's just keep driving and see where we end up.Too long; didn't read - Just read it. It'll take less time than it did for me to write it.Again, any comments are welcome. I appreciate any support and/or criticism. Trolls will be trolls, and the only thing I don't want to be said was "too long". The reason for that being because it is not possible for me to explain my whole story in a matter of sentences.
Think you're cool? No? Nevermind, then.
If you answered yes, PM RPG to join the coolest group ever!
This is where a signature goes. Nuff said.
CLICK THE SCROLLING SPOILER. YAY. Credits to Soul on the art. Thanks! ^-^WARNING: Picture may be large... or small... or medium.
Last edited by Fokea on Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total